Frequently Asked Questions about Investment Caution List

What is an unregistered foreign brokerage firm?

Under the BC Securities Act, brokerage firms need to register with the BCSC as dealers or advisers in order to open trading accounts for BC residents.  You can search registered dealers and advisers to check the registration and disciplinary history of an individual or brokerage firm and visit the InvestRight website for information on conducting background checks.


What is an unqualified investment? 

An unqualified investment is one where the company's securities (shares, promissory notes, debentures, limited partnership units, etc.) are not part of a prospectus offering or are not exempt from the prospectus requirement under the BC Securities Act


How do I report to the BCSC?

If an unregistered foreign brokerage firm contacts you, or you think a company is trying to sell you unqualified investments, immediately report it. You can do this by:

The Inquiries Group can also help you find information with questions about unqualified investments and disciplined persons.