These are our standards for performing our adjudicative functions:
Independence & Objectivity
- We act without conflict of interest, bias, influence, or pressure.
- We reach decisions based only on the evidence, the law, and the public interest.
Openness & Accessibility
- Our processes are transparent.
- We give information in plain language to parties and witnesses about our processes, possible orders, and avenues of appeal.
- Our processes accommodate those without legal representation.
- Our premises are accessible.
- We hold our hearings as soon as practicable after the notice of hearing.
- We meet the decision release guidelines in our hearings policy.
- We manage hearings to be efficient and cost effective for the parties.
- We support our decisions with reasons, and write them in plain language.
- We are qualified and competent.
- We respect parties and witnesses and their counsel.